Superintendent – Cloverbank Country Club
About Cloverbank Country Club
Cloverbank Country Club is a private country club in Hamburg, NY, 15 minutes from downtown Buffalo. The course was designed by Gordon and Gordon and built-in 1959-60 as Bethlehem Management Club as a course that would not only serve the managers of Bethlehem Steel but also be capable of challenging tour-level players. After its first ownership changes, the club hosted the 1990 Ben Hogan Open and in 1995 and 1996 Nike Buffalo Open. Currently, the club is privately owned with Kemper Sports Management in charge of daily operations.
A day in the life
You will be responsible for the following: planning and implementation of the budget; development and implementation of agronomic plans; hiring, training, and supervision of the maintenance team; all while being constantly focused on providing consistent playing conditions. When you join our team, you will play a major role in enhancing our property, its staff, and its excellent reputation. The individual should be positive, self-motivated, hard-working, team-oriented, and possess a keen eye for detail.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working closely with the Board of Directors, General Manager to efficiently maintain Cloverbank Country Club Property to expected standards.
- Assisting General Manger in developing the annual maintenance budget and operating.
- Ensuring all appropriate quality and cleanliness standards are being followed.
- Supervising and performing various maintenance duties as necessary to maintain the golf course in proper playing conditions according to club.
- Supervising equipment maintenance and repair.
- Monitoring soil moisture levels and managing daily irrigation practices and scheduling to ensure optimal levels of soil moisture for playability and turf.
- Performing routine inspections and upkeep of the irrigation system including changes and repairs, as necessary.
- Developing and implementing programs, including fertility, integrated pest management, and cultural practice programs, among others to maintain turf grass health and ensure the courses are being presented at the desired level of conditioning.
- Performing application equipment calibration along with overseeing or making the fertilizer and pesticide applications as necessary.
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable state and federal laws, OSHA rules and regulations, all rules and regulations relating to chemical and fertilizer application, storage and disposal, employee safety, public safety.
- Managing employment activities for golf course maintenance team members.
- Maintain accurate records pertaining to departmental activities including, but not limited to labor schedules, course maintenance programs and activities, construction activities, equipment inventory and repair, safety meetings and activities, fertilizer and chemical applications and pest control
- Submit all required operational, financial, budgetary, and related reports in a timely manner.
- Maintain necessary inventories and complete all necessary forms and coding processes.
- Maintain knowledge of current and projected industry developments.
We are looking for someone with a 3 to 5 years of applicable functional supervisory and/or management experience in the golf industry.
- 2-year degree in a Turfgrass related field required, Bachelors degree preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and capability in the areas of budget development, financial management, strategic planning, and staff.
- Possess a high level of written, verbal, and interpersonal communication.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems; efficiently handle multiple duties under pressure with minimal supervision; work flexible hours as required including nights/weekends.
- Maintain a positive attitude, professional manner, and appearance in all situations.
KemperSports is an Equal Opportunity Employer