Sand Valley is a Midwest golf destination set among the prehistoric sand dunes in central Wisconsin. Founded in 2016 by brothers Michael and Chris Keiser, this Dream Golf destination offers three award-winning golf courses, Sand Valley, Mammoth Dunes, and the Sandbox, which were modeled after the heathland golf courses of London and showcase massive, 80-foot exposed sand dunes. Much like other Dream Golf properties, such as Bandon Dunes Golf Resort and Cabot Cape Breton, Sand Valley showcases golf as it was meant to be.
The Sandbox, designed by Coore/Crenshaw, possesses 15 acres of maintained fine fescue for tees and fairways. The greens consist of modern creeping bentgrass varieties while covering 2.5 acres of the course. The Sandbox maintenance team is also responsible for maintaining the current 10-acre practice facility. There is a planned renovation and expansion of the practice facility starting in 2023. We invite you to learn more here!
The Golf Course Superintendent should be a proven leader in the industry. They will be responsible for the following: the planning and implementation of the budget, development and implementation of agronomic plans, hiring, training, supervision of the maintenance team; all while being constantly focused on providing consistently world-class playing conditions. The selected individual will join our team and play a major role in enhancing our property, its staff, and its excellent reputation. The individual should be positive, self-motivated, hard-working, team-oriented and possess a keen eye for detail.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with owners, general manager, directors, architects, and contractors to efficiently maintain the Sandbox to meet world-class golf expectations.
- Oversee and direct all operations of the Sandbox golf course maintenance department and all members of the turf maintenance team.
- Plan and implement staffing schedules to ensure quality standards are achieved with high efficiency.
- Develop the annual maintenance budget and operating plan. Implement the plan according to the Company operating policies and procedures to ensure cost containment.
- Ensure all appropriate quality and cleanliness standards are being followed including but not limited to, employee hygiene and uniforms, equipment repair area, equipment storage areas, chemical and fertilizer storage areas, receiving areas, washing areas, lunchroom areas, restrooms, etc.
- Supervise and perform various maintenance duties as necessary to maintain the golf course in proper playing conditions according to club standards.
- Supervise and lead course construction projects.
- Supervise equipment maintenance and repair operations. Establish and implement a cleaning and preventative maintenance program for appropriate equipment, tools, vehicles etc.
- Monitor soil moisture levels and manage or oversee daily irrigation practices and scheduling to ensure optimal levels of soil moisture for playability and turf health.
- Perform routine inspection and upkeep of the irrigation system including changes and repairs, as necessary.
- Develop and implement programs, including fertility, integrated pest management and cultural practice programs, among others to maintain turf grass health and ensure the courses are being presented at the desired level of conditioning.
- Perform application equipment calibration along with the overseeing or making the fertilizer and pesticide applications as necessary.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal laws, OSHA rules and regulations, all rules and regulations relating to chemical and fertilizer application, storage and disposal, employee safety, public safety, etc.
- Management of employment activities for golf course maintenance team members, including but not limited to, personnel recruitment and selection, training, performance evaluations, discipline, and terminations, etc.
- Maintain accurate records pertaining to departmental activities including, but not limited to labor schedules, course maintenance programs and activities, construction activities, equipment inventory and repair, safety meetings and activities, fertilizer and chemical applications and pest control practices.
- Submit all required operational, financial, budgetary, and related reports in a timely manner.
- Maintain necessary inventories, purchase necessary items through the purchase order system and complete all necessary forms and coding processes.
- Maintain knowledge of current and projected industry developments through continuous attention to industry periodicals and participation in relevant trade associations and organizations.
- Coordinates winter maintenance activities when necessary, including but not limited to: Irrigation system blowout, snow fencing, snow plowing/blowing/shoveling, winter trail grooming, ice rink maintenance, Zamboni operation.
- 1 or 2-year degree in a Turfgrass related field required.
- Bentgrass management experience required. Experience with fescue is preferred but not required.
- 3 to 5 years of applicable functional supervisory and/or management experience in the golf industry preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and capability in the areas of budget development, financial management, strategic planning, staff management.
- Possess a high-level of written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems; efficiently handle multiple duties under pressure with minimal supervision; work flexible hours as required including nights/weekends.
- Maintain a positive attitude, professional manner, and appearance in all situations.
- Possess or obtain a Wisconsin Applicator License 3.0 within 120 days of employment.
Must have the ability to:
- Read and write (English)
- Communicate verbally with staff members and/or guests with or without the use of two-way radios.
- Give and/or follow verbal and written instructions and supervise subordinates
- Visually inspect all work areas, golf course and grounds
- See players on the golf course, and to follow the flight of golf balls
- Operate vehicles and equipment for several hours at a time
- Perform mathematical calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages
- Retrieve, read and interpret information from technical sources
- Stand, sit, walk, push, pull, lift, grasp, bend and kneel for up to 5 hours at a time
- Lift up to 100lbs. occasionally, 50lbs. frequently, and 20lbs. constantly
Work hours may include days and evenings on weekdays and weekends. Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions. May be exposed to inclement weather, potentially dangerous chemicals, solvents, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, misdirected golf balls, sharp and rapid equipment movement on a daily basis. Injury or sickness may result if safety policies and practices are not properly followed.
Assistant Superintendent; Maintenance Foreman; Pesticide Application Specialist; Irrigation Specialist; Equipment Operators; Equipment Technician; Laborers; Greenskeepers and Interns
Full-time, Salary, Exempt
Sand Valley LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer