Lake Spanaway Golf Course
Lake Spanaway Golf Course, owned and maintained by the Parks and Recreation Services division of Pierce County. This classic design was crafted from the legendary PNW golf course architect A.V. Macan (Seattle Golf Club, Fircrest, Cal Golf Club). From the red tees at just over 5,600 yards to the tips at 7,014, it is a classic course that appeals to the novice player but also challenges the best players in the region. From the old-growth Douglas firs that line every fairway to the well-placed bunkers and large greens, Lake Spanaway is truly a wonderful golf experience. Lake Spanaway is the annual host of the Puget Sound Amateur and has hosted 9 Washington State Golf Association championships and 3 USGA national championship qualifiers.
The Head Golf Pro is instrumental in developing and/or implementing strategies, golf events and golf programs designed to improve the Club’s products and services as well as its competitive position in the marketplace. The Head Golf Pro oversees all golf shop operations and is responsible for ensuring that all guests receive outstanding customer service, which meets or exceeds their expectations. Develop and implement a merchandising program for the facility which specifically focuses on merchandise purchasing, pricing, display techniques, sales, inventory turnover and inventory control in order to maximize sales revenues and profit margins while minimizing theft and shrinkage problems.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities:
- Plan and schedule work duties of department personnel. Monitor performance to ensure customer service standards and productivity goals are achieved.
- Oversee daily operating activities including opening, closing and securing the golf shop and storage buildings; managing daily cash flow to ensure cash/credit card charges balance with sales receipts; monitoring staff interaction with guests to ensure proper customer service.
- Manage employment activities for applicable staff members, including but not limited to, personnel recruitment and selection, performance evaluations, training, compensation, discipline and termination, etc.
- Oversee merchandising operations including ensuring that merchandise orders are recorded with proper quantities and prices and participating in monthly inventories. Be fully knowledgeable of golf shop merchandise, participate in selling merchandise and/or provide suggestions to patrons as appropriate to meet their needs.
- Develop a merchandising program that includes floor plan layouts, display tactics, merchandise mix, quality and quantity of items purchased, staffing requirements, etc.
- Work to develop a purchasing budget and implementing the on-going open buy or like program throughout the fiscal year.
- Plan and conduct individual and group lesson programs and golf clinics.
- Track types and quantity of golf rounds played. Monitor customer preferences, usage patterns, and satisfaction with Company products and services. Assess the quality of internal and/or external customer service and speed of play. Recommend plans for continued improvement.
- Ensure that ancillary services including, but not limited to, the handicapping system, guest programs and driving range facilities are efficiently organized and meet customer needs.
- Interact with guests in a congenial and professional manner. Maintain pleasant and professional telephone manner at all times. Schedule tee times and handle customer inquiries and/or complaints in accordance with operating policies and procedures. Ensure all phone calls are handled before the third ring.
- Assure the efficient and timely submission of all required operational, financial, budgetary reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school/GED required; BA/BS degree preferred or applicable work experience.
- PGA or LPGA Class A credentials
- Minimum 3 years of management experience, preferably in the golf or hospitality industry.
- Demonstrated experience and capability in the areas of fiscal management and staff management. Retailing, marketing, and/or sales and customer service, guest relations experience preferred.
- Proficiency with computer software including word processing and spreadsheets.
- Demonstrated quality written, verbal, interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems; efficiently handle multiple duties under pressure with minimal supervision; work flexible hours as required including nights/weekends.
- Positive attitude, professional manner and appearance in all situations.
- Candidates will be required to pass background checks before they can be hired.
Golf operations staff: guest services, golf shop staff
Volunteer player assistant
Work hours may include days and evenings on weekdays and weekends. Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions. May be exposed to inclement weather, potentially dangerous chemicals, solvents, pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers, misdirected golf balls, sharp and rapid equipment movement on a daily basis. Injury may result as a result of exposure to the above if safety policies and practices are not properly followed.
General office machines such as personal computers, printers, copiers, fax machines, calculators, telephones, etc. VDT glare screen and wrist rest. Golf clubs, golf cars.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Read and write (English)
- Communicate verbally with staff members and/or customers with or without the use of two-way radios.
- Give and/or follow verbal and written instructions
- Supervise subordinates
- Visually inspect all work areas, golf course and grounds
- Give physical demonstrations of the golf swing
- See players on the golf course, and to follow the flight of golf balls
- Operate vehicles and equipment for several hours at a time
- Perform mathematical calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages
- Retrieve, read and interpret information from technical sources
- Stand, walk, push, pull, lift, grasp, bend and kneel for up to 5 hours at a time
- Lift up to 150 lbs occasionally, 50 lbs frequently, and 20 lbs constantly
Full-time, Non-Seasonal, Hourly, Non-Exempt
KemperSports Management is an Equal Opportunity Employer