Rock Spring Golf Club
Rock Spring Golf Club at West Orange features one of only two public golf courses in the United States designed by legendary architect Seth Raynor, whose highly-ranked work includes Fisher’s Island in New York, Shoreacres on Chicago’s North Shore and Mid Ocean Club in Bermuda. Twelve of Raynor’s courses are on GOLF Magazine’s list of the Top 100 in the U.S.
Rock Spring’s 6,600-yard par-71 course sits on a rolling, tree-lined site and features many of Raynor’s trademark design elements with truly unique and creative green complexes. Founded in 1925, Rock Spring Golf Club at West Orange has played host to the New Jersey State Open (1981, 1990, 2000 and 2009), the US Healthcare Classic, and many state PGA and USGA qualifying events.
Located just 15 miles west of Manhattan, Rock Spring Golf Club at West Orange also features a clubhouse with sweeping views of the Manhattan skyline, Cable Lake and Second Mountain.
Responsible for selling golf shop merchandise to customers, handling cash and credit transactions, answering phones, interacting with patrons, and providing information and handling request and complaints with a positive attitude and in a friendly, professional manner. Assists with inventory control, maintains the cleanliness of the golf shop and ensures the merchandise displays are properly stocked and organized.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Be fully knowledgeable of golf shop merchandise. Sell merchandise and/or provide suggestions to patrons as appropriate to meet their needs. Assist customers with special merchandise orders.
- Collect money or process credit cards, record sales transactions and issue receipts for all merchandise sales, greens fees, car/pull cart rental fees and club rental fees.
- Answer phones, maintain pleasant and professional telephone manner at all times. Schedule tee times and handle customer inquiries and/or complaints in accordance with operating policies and procedures. Take messages for patrons who may be on course.
- Interact with pass-holders, members and guests in a congenial and professional manner. Assist patrons with information regarding tournaments, special events, club activities, policies, etc.
- Assist in packing and/or unpacking inventory, arranging and displaying golf shop inventory. Assist with physical inventory at month end in accordance with inventory procedures.
- Ensure that the golf shop is maintained per Company cleanliness and appearance standards. Maintain clean, presentable and fully stocked merchandise displays.
- Assist with organizing and implementing tournaments, group outings and special events. Ensure efficient operation and coordination of golf shop, cart service and other services as applicable.
- Assist with organizing and maintaining ancillary services such as the handicapping system, membership programs and driving range facilities.
- Perform other duties as appropriate.
- High school preferred.
- 1year experience in golf shop and/or customer service/retail sales environment preferred.
- Demonstrated quality written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems; efficiently handle multiple duties under pressure with minimal supervision; work flexible hours as required including nights/weekends.
- Positive attitude, professional manner and appearance in all situations.
Position Physical Requirements
Must have the ability to:
- Read and write (English)
- Communicate verbally with staff members and/or customers with or without the use of two-way radios.
- Give and/or follow verbal and written instructions
- Visually inspect all work areas, golf course and grounds
- See players on the golf course, and to follow the flight of golf balls
- Perform mathematical calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages
- Stand, sit, walk, push, pull, lift, grasp, bend and kneel for up to 5 hours at a time
- Lift up to 50 lbs occasionally, 30 lbs frequently, and 10 lbs constantly
Work hours may include days and evenings on weekdays and weekends. Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions. May be exposed to inclement weather, potentially dangerous chemicals, solvents, pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers, misdirected golf balls, sharp and rapid equipment movement on a daily basis. Injury may result as a result of exposure to the above if safety policies and practices are not properly followed.
General office machines such as personal computers, printers, copiers, fax machines, calculators, telephones, etc. VDT glare screen and wrist rest.
Part-time, year-round, non-exempt
KemperSports Management is an Equal Opportunity Employer